6 January, 2015
Bead n Butter Custard for One
Posted in : Deserts on
Bread n Butter Custard for One
Author: Alan Simmons
Recipe type: Desert
- 1 cup milk,
- 1 thin strip of lemon rind,
- 1 egg,1 tablespoon sugar,
- 2 slices of bread ,
- demerra sugar or raw sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla,
- ½ tablespoon sultanas,
- ½ tablespoon currants,
- grated fresh nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 170C (325F)
- Heat milk in saucepan with lemon rind until almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Butter a 2½ cup ovenproof dish.
- Lightly beat together egg sugar and vanilla.
- Trim crusts from bread- butter each slice generously with butter-then cut into small squares.
- Sprinkle sultanas into baking dish and add half the bread.
- Now sprinkle over currants then cover with remaining pieces of bread.
- Strain milk on to egg mixture and beat lightly -then pour over bread.
- Grate a little nutmeg on top and add a sprinkle of Demerra sugar or raw sugar.
- Stand dish in a pan containing water to come halfway up it's sides.
- Bake at 170C for about 45-55 minutes.
- The top of the pudding should be lightly coloured and the custard set.
- Serve while warm or cold.
Serving size: 1