16 January, 2015
Author: Alan Simmons
- 1½ lb blade steak
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder **
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons jam or fruit chutney***
- 1 cup beef stock
- boiled rice for serving
- Coat meat in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole (or saucepan or frypan), add garlic, onion and curry powder. Saute for approximately 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add meat and brown lightly. Add jam or chutney, and stock. Bring to the boil and mix thoroughly.
- Cover casserole (or transfer to a casserole dish & cover), and cook in a moderately slow oven for approximately 2-3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with boiled rice.
- ** Adjust amount of curry powder to taste. This makes a mildly hot curry.
- *** Jam gives a nice sweet tang but is not overpowering.