28 April, 2015
Entree, Fruit, Quinces
This makes a great homemade gift idea. Quince cheese is great on biscuits or on a cheeseboard.
Author: Alan Simmons
- A number of quinces. Amount irrelevant at this stage.
- Sugar to match.
- Cut up the quinces into chunky pieces. Do not peel them.
- Put in a large pot and cover with water and then simmer them for at least two hours.
- Push the pulp through a sieve and then repeat the process so that you get a clearish liquid.
- Weigh that liquid and then add to a large pot with an equal amount by weight of sugar.
- Simmer for at least a couple of hours until you can wipe a wooden spoon across the bottom and it does not close up for a second or two. ie you can see the pot bottom briefly.
- Pour into molds or line a shallow dish with greaseproof paper and pour into that. When set cut into pieces and either store in a container or wrap with greaseproof paper into small parcels.